Subject: [amos-list] Re:TCP commands.
From: "Rev. Giark To You" <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew Crowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:09:58 -0500

From: "Rev. Giark To You" <[email-masked]>

On 17-Aug-99, Andrew Crowe wrote:
>   Here's the scene: You are happily surfing the net or playing quake online
>etc., when suddenly some ideot thinks 'I know, lets give whoever a game of
>james bond' and then puts in there IP no. without telling them. Suddenly a
>copy of James Bond jumps onto the screen, causing much annoyance.

Only the server end. As in, one computer sets up inetd, the hub. Others just
connect to it. You wouldn't set up inetd for all users. Others would hit the
hub.

>   AmiTCP btw.

Even worse. Q8-{)

>Anyway, I managed to get it working, you forgot to tell me to add an entry in
>'services' and then fiddle about with the cli command.

Ya, sorry about that.

>As I've go a program that outputs the command line its given to a file in
ram,
>but lo, I can't get it to output any kind of IP no. or anything.

I don't know the parameter, but it will do it. I'm fiddling about with it
myself.

>   And AMOS locks up when I try to do anything with the port...

The one that is reported or the one you set up?

>   Besides, I don't want to have to expect poor people to fiddle about in the
>settings like that.

They wouldn't. 

>   Quake can have a direct TCP connection between two computers, why not GUI
>TCP commands?

Now, let's try to get on the same page. I'm talking about a game with three or
more people logged in at once, as you originally stated. If you only want to
direct connect person a to berson b, that is dead simple. The irc example
would do fine. Or, for that matter, any kind of connection where you can get
the ip or domain or whatever of the person you want to connect to. Even just a
little window saying 'enter ip number to connect to'. 

I think you still have to set up the port so your system will let it work, but
I may be wrong. Once you know the ip to connect to (both ends need to know the
other guys ip), you just instruct one guy to open the port (he would be like a
host) and the other connect to it (he would be the user). It's easy to set
that as a flag, then the host program would initiate all data transfers, the
user would respond. bingity bangity boo. I've done similar stuff with my
serial game "dungeon", using dialup instead of net connect, but the idea is
the same.

Well met and godspeed,
                      Rev. Giark
                                             ICQ 12235820
                                          [email-masked]
                                     [email-masked]
                                      http://24.112.23.20/~giark/
                            .----------------------------------------------.
                            |      ______  ______    _____  Coming Soon!   |
                            |     / ____/ / __  /   / ___ \ ï¿½SoloTrek III  |
                            |    / /__   / /_/ /   / /  / /                |
                            |   / ___/  / ____ \  / /  / /  ï¿½Cap'n Bubba   |
                            |  / /     / /___/ / / /  / /   And The Nasty  |
                            | /_/     /_______/ /_/  /_/    Alien Menace   |
                            |    Fly By Nite Videe-Oh!                     |
                            |    Amiga 1200 030/50MHz 2Mb Chip 32Mb Fast   |
                            `----------------------------------------------'

--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official AMOS WWW: http://members.xoom.com/AmosFactory/front.html